Peach Cobbler

Sweet, juicy peaches under a crisp, buttery crust.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The South, Y'all, United States

Monday, October 04, 2004

If You Were My Keys

Just where would you be hiding now? When I got home from class, I unlocked the door, walked straight through, right into the bedroom (I thought) and put everything down in one place. Now I can't find my keys. It isn't a catastrophe, but it is darned inconvenient and a puzzle that I long to solve. Come out, come out, wherever you are.

The weather is turning cooler now and feels more like Fall weather should feel. I just love this time of year. I love the way the leaves change colors. There is a beautiful dogwood tree on one particular road that we travel frequently. That tree is shaped just perfectly and every Fall and Spring I look forward to enjoying the colors of the leaves and the blossoms. Just last week though, I saw where the power company had butchered that tree by topping it. I almost cried. There was no way it could have interfered with the power lines but someone obviously thought it would and gave the go ahead to ugly it up. The lines of the tree are no longer perfect but I can still enjoy the deepening red of the leaves.

I particularly like to see leaves falling and blowing everywhere. Don't ask me to explain, because I can't. Just take my word for it. We've got a ways to go before Thanksgiving but trust me, I will be disappointed if there are no leaves blowing around at Thanksgiving. There must be leaves falling and blowing across the road at that time of year because...well, because that's the way it was when I was a kid and that's what I expect.

The smells and scents in the air change in the Fall too. Apples, woodsmoke, dry leaves, the last time the yard is mowed for the season, and more, all just seem to thrill me. The scents aren't usually sharp like Spring, but somehow are muted and deep...all at the same time.

It's still just a bit warm for this but I can't resist. I think I'll go get some apple cider. It should taste really good with a cinnamon stick.

Maybe I'll find my keys too.








1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you find your keys soon. I know that everyone has been through that a time or two. I have developed definite protocols to prevent catastrophe in the case of lost keys or "locked in the car keys". My butt has been saved on more than one ocassion because of that. But of course, I developed a plan after suffering just like you are now.

I have a deck outside my fourth floor apartment and quite a few plants out there. I refuse to sweep it this time of year because it is fall and I also like the look of leaves on the ground (deck). And, it's starting to get windy and blow them around and I like that too.

Enjoy the fall. Find your keys.

(M)

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home